Problems: RH6.2 boot disk & BNS

Laurent de Fontenay 12925683 at humarga.sun.ac.za
Thu Nov 30 01:37:00 EST 2000

Hi!

I've just decided to start playing around with Speakup and have run
into problems from the word "go"!

I'm using a pentium 166, with RH6.2 already installed and a BNS
640 on com2.  Communications parameters on the BNS are set to
defaults, (9600 Baud, no parity, half duplex, 8 databits, 1 stopbit &
software handshake.

I downloaded the boot disk image bnsb.bin and wrote it with rawrite.
All went well so far.  I booted up with BNS in speachbox mode.  The
stiffy drive did its thing for two seconds and stopped.  I pressed
"enter" and booting apparently continued normally.

Instead of starting to speak, the BNS's speaker just went on,
indicating that it had received some unspeakable ascii.  When I
checked later, I saw that the ascii characters sent were return (ascii
13) and ctrl-f (ascii 6).  No speach followed when playing with the
numpad keys either.

My next step was to play around with the coms parameters on the
BNS, rebooting after each change.  Of course, I didn't explore all
the possible combinations!  No luck though.

Could somebody please help!  Does speakup detect the synth
irrespective of whether its on com1 or com2?  Is there some info I
should provide at some stage of booting up?

Thanks!

Laurent