broadband access with starband, usb, and linux

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Tue Nov 21 11:10:31 EST 2000

A couple observations:

1.  You will need to have a driver for your equipment in either case. If
the driver isn't out there, then get to coding.

2.  Most satalite systems experiance a high latency connection though they
have high bandwidth as well. This can cause some confusion on the quality
of the conncection. For instance the echo of typed messages over telnet
might by long. When starting streamed media it may take a long time to
buffer and if the player suypports it will fall to low bandwidth
settings. Then after the stream becomes established the data will always
be there and again if supported the player will attempt to move to a
higher speed. If you are running Microslop, you will want to patch the
system to deal with the high latency. Linux deals quite well and will
realize the high bandwidth. M$ as shipped will assume a low bandwidth
connection.

3.  One of our members has been dreaming of his broadband connection and
asking questions on how he might get it for some time. I doubt he is
getting this one either. The stated cost is not significantly less then
cable or DSL. Given that we have not heard  why these haven't been
implimented, I think this is just one more theoretical discussion which
won't go anywhere.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net