using linux to change channels on satellite

Brent Harding bharding at ufw2.com
Tue Nov 14 22:17:06 EST 2000

				Is there any kind of adapter or good new receiver that has software
that works in linux that would allow me to change channels on satellite? I
want something that'll get most popular national radio shows, especially
the technology ones. I want this approach as there's little other way to
tell what frequency, satellite, and channel it's on without sighted
assistance, which I won't have every time I want to switch to a different
channel. I got one of those dishes that moves to different satellites when
you press certain buttons on the remote. That was what came out before the
new dss stuff that probably can't get radio anyways. Also, I might want to
use crontab entries to record things at different times, sounds easier than
wasting a talking VCR to record audio only, there's no talking cassette
recorders or the like that I've heard of. According to some ad I heard long
ago, some receivers are capable of programming like this, and they start
your vcr after switching to the channel too (TV only I assume).