Compiling the kernel version 2.14

Barry Pollock barryp at hurontel.on.ca
Tue May 23 20:27:34 EDT 2000

I made sure I had a working boot disk so the system will come back on
failure.
i renamed the linux directory to redhat_linux
and also the other directory that redhat creates.
I applied the patch
after uncrunching the "pure" kernel

cd /usr/src/linux

make mrproper

make config

	I deleted the defkeymap.c file from the
linux/drivers/char directory.

ake dep >tmp 2>&1 &

make modules

make modules_install

Cant remember if the above line is correct or not but
it is in the HOWTO
directory.

cd /usr/src/linux make bzImage >tmp 2>&1 &

make install

I edited the /etc/lilo.conf file to accommodate the new kernel.
The lilo command is covered in the make install command
Make sure that the /lib/modules directory contains a directory for the new
kernel.
cd /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot
mv bzImage /boot/
If your startup directory is different, the
lilo.conf must reflect the proper directory or the system will not boot.
Now you can shutdown the system and hope that it talks to you.
Make sure not to touch any keys until after the synthesizer has reset and
said a couple words.
If you press the enter key on the numberpad and the synthesizer stops, the
review keys are working correctly.Barry