kernel re-compilation

Tim Burgess tim at blazie.co.uk
Thu May 18 12:15:22 EDT 2000

Hi,

Thanks, Kirk, you were right about copying the System.map file - I copied it
into /boot and the errors went away.

I've booted a few times now and found that SpeakUp can be made to carry on
talking - it seems to depend on when I hit the Control key during system
initialisation - I haven't yet pinned down a recognisable point when it's a
good idea.  If I don't press ctrl then SpeakUp stops talking eventually (I
assume a buffer overflow), but it can also clam up if I press it at the
"wrong" time during the start-up process.  I'll carry on fiddling and see if
I can pin this behaviour down.  I can usually get success after two or three
restarts, so it's not too bad.

My plan for tomorrow is to rebuild the kernel again - firstly to try and get
rid of my i586 errors and secondly to get my rtl-8029 Ethernet card to work.

Thanks again for all the help.

Tim Burgess
Technical Support
Voice:  +44 (0)1827 716000