Redhat6.1 boot disks with Speakup don't seem to work withDoubleTalk LT

frankiec at unforgettable.com frankiec at unforgettable.com
Fri May 12 06:58:45 EDT 2000

Vic
I think I know what your problem is.  It won't be fixed by the
speakup_ser variable.  If it would be fixed by the speakup_ser kernel
parameter you would type "text speakup_ser=0" because you are using com1,
which is ttyS0.

I am going to guess that you have the problem with these machines that I
have with lots of machines that I get my hands on.  If you can wait until
later on this weekend sometime I will try to build some speakup slackware
bootdisks with the talking lilo prompt.  I have found that on at least one
system this has solved the detection of serial synths problem.

The issue is that the uarts aren't awake until data gets sent through
them.  Don't ask me why because I have no freekin idea.  All I can tell
you is that this baffled me for about four months until I started really
understanding there behavior.  This took that long for me to really see
what was going on.  I couldn't narrow it down because of all of the
variables.  I think that we are going to need to come up with a fix for
these problems at the speakup level but for now this is a fix.

I can't make redhat do this because it uses syslinux and I don't think
that you can use the serial port terminal with this boot loader.  Someone
please correct me if I am in error on this one.

Hope this helps.

FC