sound advice needed

cpt.kirk at 1tree.net cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Wed Mar 29 20:26:13 EST 2000

Chuck,

I would not go with a AWE64 card. While the card is good, there are some
caveats. First is that there are two versions of this card using different
chip sets. Only one of those sets works with Linux. But also, the card is
about the last of the line that doesn't support multiple audio streams
simultaneously. For less money you can get a PCI card that will support
multiple streams. As an example I have an Aureal card that is available
for $17. It supports several audio streams at the same time (allows a wave
file to play while say Real Audio is playing). There are also drivers
available.

Right now the drivers aren't open source, but the company has pledged to
release them to open source in the future. There are other cards as well.
The one mentioned is just one that I know about and sounds good to me.

Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net