Anybody here using PLIP?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Mon Mar 27 18:52:49 EST 2000

Your documentation is at the top of plip.c which can be found in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/plip.c
If communicating to a dos box with plip you need to enable arp on the Linux
interface; ifconfig plip1 plip

You use a Laplink parallel cable yes. Here is the quick and dirty way to get
plip running see the net3 howto or the Linux Network administrator's guide for
more. The book itself is out of date but you get taht the plip section still
applies.
For simplicity I'll call your biggest box the server although plip is a peer
to peer connection.
I assume you currently have no ethernet installed; if so see below.

On your server (Big linux box)
insmod plip io=0x378 irq=7         #Change this to match your port
ifconfig plip1 192.168.0.1 pointopoint 192.168.0.2
route add -host 192.168.0.2

pointopoint is not a typo that's how you spell it. If you allready have a
network card on the same address as the plip card; you can share the ip on the
"server" because it is point to point and the client will only talk to the
server on the plip link.

On your client also running Linux?
insmod plip io=0x378 irq=7
ifconfig plip1 192.168.0.2 pointopoint 192.168.0.1
route add -host 192.168.0.1
route add default plip1           #Is this our only link to the network?

If using a dos "client" then:
plip 0x7e 7 0x378
kermit
set tcp ad 192.168.0.2
telnet 192.168.0.1

If you have ethernet you must proxyarp for the plip machine like this:
arp -s 192.168.0.2 hh:hh:hh:hh:hh:hh pub
Replace the hh:hh guff with the mac address of the ethernet card in your
server.

This should get you started or turn you off plip altogether <grin> plip is no
substitute for ethernet but if you don't have ethernet then it beats serial
cables.

Regards, Kerry.