IP masquerading in Linux

Sebastian Taralunga seba at tcx.ro
Sat Mar 25 07:38:16 EST 2000

Hello Victor,

You have to specify a nameserver for the clients. IP
masquerading simply means that the gateway passes all
requests to the outside world and knows how to handle back
the responses. If you do not specify a nameserver, the
clients simply do not know whom to send their
name-resolution requests...

If you want to have the name-server handle your DNS requests
as well you will have to either install a name-server on the
gateway or to use transparent proxy and redirect (using
ipchains) all the DNS requests from the clients to the
appropriate name-servers.

Best Regards,

Sebastian
Office: (+40)/1/6.504.430             Mob: (+40)/92/202.086
Snail:  Sebastian Taralunga, C.P. 13-20, Bucharest, Romania
E-mail:	seba at tcx.ro                  WWW: http://www.tcx.ro