traditions

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Fri Mar 24 16:24:21 EST 2000

A recent reference to the Apple got me to thinking of parallels. When the
Apple was popular among blind users, it was famous for making "talking
applicati8ons" relatively easy. The PC with speech access, on the other
hand, made the OS talk, and thus automatically made a whole bunch of
applications accessible in one stroke. On Linux today we have two major
movements - emacspeak, which is a "talking applicati8on" (though a very
powerful one) following the Apple traditi8on, and we have Speakup, which
makes the OS talk and thus opens up the entire Linux world (minus X) for
blind users.

What an incredibly distorted view this slashdot comment offers. Almost
leaves one - pardon the pun - speechless!

Chuck.

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh (I C Q = 67363342)
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759.