Braille and Speak

cpt.kirk at 1tree.net cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Sat Mar 11 00:32:43 EST 2000

I thought I would respond to the why another Braille and Speak (BNS)
device question. My first response is because only one of my friends has
the money to buy a BNS. To be honest, a BNS beats the average PDA out for
many things. But it also falls short. Buddy and I have occasionally spoke
of such things for some time and started serious talks earlier this year.

But I think it may be that we should start looking at defining the problem
first and what said device should do. Here are my thoughts to start with:
1.  Hold normal address information.
2.  Allow one to send and recieve email.
3.  Be able to hold general notes.
4.  Have at least 8 hours battery life (actual usage).
5.  Work as a calculator.

Now, after defining what it needs to do, we should be looking at minimum
hardware to do the functions. General observations are that using slower
processors will save money, and have lower power requirements.

Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

Your fly might be open (but don't check it just now).