That X Thing

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Mar 7 12:21:47 EST 2000

Hi, Again:

I've got a window of opportunity to get some more systems functioning
under Linux. One high priority for me is vmware. Success there will mean
that I can just stay up which would be very good, as rebooting in order to
access something in Windows is becoming a real drag.

I'm stuck somewhere short of launching vmware, though. I get an error that
says something like DGA  configuration incorrect. It's a gui message.

I have XFree and I believe it installed with no errors back those several
weeks ago when I was last on this trail. I've run X Configurator without
errors as well -- except that that last dialog, where it launches X and
asks whether everything looks OK "Yes" or "No" doesn't seem to respond to
keystrokes. I've just let it time out.

I'm running level 5, and coming up to a gui login (which I just
Control-Alt-1 out of normally). I did log in at one point when I had
sighted help at hand. No errors, but my sighted assistant said the mouse
cursor was nowhere to be found.

That's the best I can do right now. I will have some sighted assistance
later today, and I'd like to make some progress, if possible. Where do I
start debugging this?

Thanks, as always.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Information Systems Research & Development
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

janina at afb.net