zipspeak on my C drive

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Fri Jun 30 20:28:22 EDT 2000

I'm a stickler for correctness so here goes.
If anyone wants clarification let me know and I can reply offlist or similar
:-)
This was a message from Jean. My reply doesn't tell the full story but enough
of it :-)
> If I understand you correctly, and you want to make Linux its own
> bootable partition, then you should make Linux the second partition, and
> DOS the first partition.  DOS/Windows does not like being on anything
> but the first partition.
Well that is not 100% correct. The master boot record scans the partition
table for the first active partition. As long as the partition is primary and
only one is set active, the dos mbr should have no trouble normally.
Trouble can occurr if the boot area is past cylinder 1024 (10 bit field in bios
for cylinder) but that holds true for any os boot loader that relies on the
bios to get loaded. This is why the nt boot loader, the dos system files
or lilo's stage 1 or grub's stage 1 must be <1024 cylinder wise.
Lilo fixes this in the newest greatest release not sure about grub it uses
extended in13 provided your motherboard has it not all do.

Oh and a bug in the dos boot sector stops dos booting if it is past the
first 2gb, that took me days to sort out.

Regards, Kerry.