On network instllation of Linux

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-777-8123 wacker at octothorp.org
Wed Jun 7 02:23:23 EDT 2000

Hi Vic,

     The reason you can't use a symbolic link from your CDROM directory to
your anonymous tree is because when you log in as anonymous, the system
does a change root (chroot) to the root of your anonymous tree.  Have
you ever noticed that when you look around systems you've accessed by
anonymous FTP, you find directories such as lib, bin, and dev.  This is
because the process you're running needs to be able to access libraries,
commands and devices.  Because of the change root, the ftp process can't
access the real root, or, for that matter, anything else on the system
that's above the root of the anonymous FTP tree.  It would be better to
create a directory in /home/ftp and mount your CDROM on that for the
install.

          Hope this helps.
          Bill in Denver