modem installation

Jude T. DaShiell jdashiel at clark.net
Sun Jun 4 19:29:05 EDT 2000

I'm having to edit /etc/rc.d/rc.serial and I put my line to connect to the
modem at line 19 in that file.  When I tried booting up the system hung.
I inserted the line:
{SETSERIAL} /dev/ttyS1 uart 16550 port 0x2F8 irq 9
and then uncommented the line in /etc/rc.d/rc.S that prevents rc.serial
from running.
Did I make my insertion on the wrong line in the rc.serial script?  I'm
not sure, but from the way some of the shell coding looked in that script
that I might have to modify another line that points the serial devices to
Null or that's where it appears to point them.  I'm about to go and
reinstall the system from zipspeak.zip in a few minutes since I didn't
make me a working boot disk yet.