rplayer 8 basic

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Sat Jul 8 07:57:26 EDT 2000

	I got it just fine from the Realnetworks site, but maybe
I was lucky.  You have to feed the Cookie Monster a few times, but
that's not such a big deal in lynx.  You can turn on cookie
processing and accept_all_cookies, but if you don't have a cookie
file defined, they just vaporize when you end your lynx session.
Isn't that sad?

	Anyway, if you can't or don't want to turn on the
cookies, remember that you will get prompted additionally to accept
them.  Watch the crumbs;  They kind of mess up your keyboard.

	I typed:
lynx http://www.realnetworks.com

	This gives a home page with only one selection and that
is another link to real.  Take it.  You have no other choice.

	Now, type  /free  and then Enter.  This gets you to a
link to download realplayer 8 free.  But I want 7!  Quiet, kid,
or I'll nail your other foot to the floor.

	This link is the one you want.  Trust me.

	Take that link and then type  /7  and then Enter.  This
puts you on the link that says "realplayer 7 still available"

	Now you're getting closer.  Take that link and you get
the screen that extols the virtues of the Plus version that you
must buy and also lets you get the free or Basic version.  Just
type  /basic  and Enter to skip the ads and get to the next link
you wanted.

	After you take that one, you start filling out the form
which will select which version, etc.  When you get to the UNIX
choices, use the  lynx text finder again to select  /rpm  which
puts you right on the correct archive.

	Remember to select a version that most closely agrees
with your connection speed.  The buffering and sampling rates are
optimized for each speed so you will have grief if you get the
wrong one.  This is purely a technical consideration and not just
something else designed to make your life rough.

	I noticed another couple of annoying things that you will
discover.  As you near the end of the form, there is an ad
cleverly included for selling a long-distance service and some
other accessories that you must get around.  Just tab through
that and then there is a check box with an X already conveniently
defaulted in to it to allow Realnetworks to "notify" you of new
developments.  In lynx, if you just hit Enter at that point, the
X goes away although spam from other companies that happen to
share the list probably doesn't.

	After that, it is just a download and save process.

	Happy downloading.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group