speakfreely and the speakup reflector

Victor Tsaran vtsaran at nimbus.ocis.temple.edu
Wed Jul 5 23:48:48 EDT 2000

Chris, are you compiling from .rpm files or from .tgz or .tar.gz? The
problem is that Emu10k1 drivers use /dev/dsp to read and write the audiodata
to and from. Speak_freely, however, uses /dev/audio to accomplish that.
Kerry once suggested that I recompile Speak_freely to redirect its
input&output to /dev/dsp by using the

LINEAR_NEEDED_DSP

parameter (or something of that sort, you will be able to uncomment it in
the Makefile), but it worked for me only partially.  Let me know if you get
it working finally.
Regards,
Vic