Announcing trplayer 1.0.0: An Accessible RealMedia Player

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Jul 5 10:53:11 EDT 2000

	I got and installed trplayer-1.0.1.  I also went to the
Realnetworks web site which is only slightly less fun than
slamming one's little finger in a car door or getting a root
canal.

	I got the UNIX version of RealPlayer7 after filling out
the form to their satisfaction.

	It is the self-extracting binary so I made it executable.
I get a "can't open display" error from the binary and that's
right about where things sit right now.  This is a Debian system
and I have not yet included the sound support in the kernel, but
one would expect the extractor to act like it was extracting,
first.  There, then, might be a complaint about there being no
sound support or maybe a crash, but it looks like the binary of
rp7 isn't extracting.

	Here are some issues that might be important.  I
downloaded the RealPlayer 7 binary to a different system than the
one it will reside on.  After the successful download, I copied
the binary to the right system and uncompressed it.

	I also shortened the name of the binary to make it easier
to remember in my short memory.  If it looks at argv[0], then I
am in trouble.

	I even logged in through the console and SU'd to root and
tried it from there and got the same results.

	The trplayer executable is in /usr/local/bin, all ready
to go.

Martin