using /dev/nvram to alter cmos settings

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Mon Jul 3 23:33:41 EDT 2000

Actually the Linux apm stuff is slightly controlled by the bios if apm is
enabled in bios and kernel has apm support then Linux does power management. If
you ommit the apm support, then your machine can go to sleep and never wake
up, or my network card (rtl8139 bodgey one) used to do that.

Linux does actually look in the cmos structures when driving mfm/esdi drives,
also for drives that don't support the IDE identify command or the ones you
specify noprobe for.
There is cmos reading code in hd.c I think. Linux also reads and writes the
hardware clock; but most operating systems do.

Regards, Kerry.