Speakup V0.09 & new kernel 2.2.16...no talkie

brent harding bharding at greenbaynet.com
Sun Jul 2 13:17:35 EDT 2000

I've had that happen when I compiled a kernel once too. I didn't configure
it right, that was the problem even though I have thought I configured
everything right. It's likely that the kernel probably doesn't make it to
the login prompt. It's hard to know what's needed or isn't as even using a
default config and doing oldconfig asks questions I don't know the answer
to. Defaults seem to make things unbootable, don't know how the applied
kernels configure, but they work for me. It was probably the lack of an
ethernet card in the machine and compiling support for it by mistake that
made it unbootable some of the times. At least I have a .config file that
seems to work. My config file though is for a debian kernel version 2.2.15,
as that's the latest one out distributed for it. I like it now though
because dynamic dns allocation is a snap, kind of a coincidence as that
wasn't the major reason I chose that distribution.
 I find packages easy to install, and it picks the right programs when you
don't have what it needs to install. But the thing that sold me was the
upgrading features and the ability to get started by downloading files, but
that took awhile to download what I have, as it installs more minimally
than zipspeak as a base install. I hear that it has one of the best
configuration tools for setting up pcmcia on laptops, something I've yet to
do.