zipspeak on my C drive

brent harding bharding at greenbaynet.com
Sat Jul 1 00:24:05 EDT 2000

What happens if you set both partitions active? How can I squeeze a linux
partition in to my laptop that already has one large fat32 partition, I
understand I can use fipps, but if the newly split partition becomes past
the 1024th cylinder, seeing I have about 8.4 gigs, is there a utility to
move dos down the disk aways so linux can be happy in the 1024 range? I
don't really know what my laptop's bios does or doesn't support, as it is
often hard to get this info.
I just coincidentally had the disaster that required a format just as I was
thinking of putting linux on this machine, so it was set up the way I
wanted it, but the fact that there's already windows established on my
laptop scares me of what would result from using fipps on it.
At 10:28 AM 7/1/00 +1000, you wrote:
>I'm a stickler for correctness so here goes.
>If anyone wants clarification let me know and I can reply offlist or similar
>:-)
>This was a message from Jean. My reply doesn't tell the full story but
enough
>of it :-)
>> If I understand you correctly, and you want to make Linux its own
>> bootable partition, then you should make Linux the second partition, and
>> DOS the first partition.  DOS/Windows does not like being on anything
>> but the first partition.
>Well that is not 100% correct. The master boot record scans the partition
>table for the first active partition. As long as the partition is primary and
>only one is set active, the dos mbr should have no trouble normally.
>Trouble can occurr if the boot area is past cylinder 1024 (10 bit field in
bios
>for cylinder) but that holds true for any os boot loader that relies on the
>bios to get loaded. This is why the nt boot loader, the dos system files
>or lilo's stage 1 or grub's stage 1 must be <1024 cylinder wise.
>Lilo fixes this in the newest greatest release not sure about grub it uses
>extended in13 provided your motherboard has it not all do.
>
>Oh and a bug in the dos boot sector stops dos booting if it is past the
>first 2gb, that took me days to sort out.
>
>Regards, Kerry.
>>
>> Gene
>>
>> >Any file named with more than 8 letters will have goofy names when seen
>> >from dos. As for moving the dos directory, if you use something called
>> >lilo, for linux loader, you could set it up to boot drive d as dos and
c as
>> >linux, as long as they're on different hard drives. You're boot prompt
>> >would let you choose from /dev/hda1 for linux and /dev/hdb1 for dos if
>> >things worked right. There's a lilo mini howto at www.linuxdoc.org.
There's