Alsa 0.5.10 w/ Debian - was: Re: not working yet

Terry D. Cudney terry at wasagacottage.com
Sun Dec 31 23:40:22 EST 2000

Hi John and all the Alsa gurus on this list,
John Covici wrote:

-=> Hi.  I think you should not build in the sound support, but leave it
-=> as a module.  You should not have support for any cards in the kernel,
-=> just sound support.  Then compile and see what happens.
	I didn't have any sound cards included, just the sound driver configured into the module. OK, I recompiled withthe driver as a module, but nothing has changed.

-=> Also, be sure that /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm are
-=> directories pointing at /usr/src/linux/include/linux and
-=> /usr/src/linux/include/asm-386 respectively.
	I remember these links in the README in /usr/src/linux a few versions ago, but they are not mentioned in the current README's. Are they really necessary? If so, which way are the links pointing? Is the link in /usr/include to the dir in usr/src/linux/include or vice versa? My system currently has a link from /usr/src/linux/include/asm to /usr/src/linux/include/asm-i386, but hte /usr/include directories are separate ie no links to or from the /usr/src/linux directory tree. Since this is not mentioned in the README anymore, have things changed to make the links unnecessary?

	I'm wondering if there is some permission that is set wrong somewhere in my system because I can run the amixer command as "root" with no errors but when run as "terry" the amixer command shows:

	The ALSA sound driver was not detected in this system.
on STDERR.

	The snd-card-sbawe module is definitely loaded.  It shows up in the lsmod output.

	Even unmuting/setting volume the devices as "root" doesn't allow any sound to come fromthe card/speakers. I know the hardware is OK 'cause it works under Win98..

	 I  configured/installed the alsa-driver as "root". Shoule it be done as a normal user? or even can it be?

	Maybe something is wrong in the part of /etc/modules.conf related to the snd-card-sbawe module.  Here's the "alsa" file from the /etc/modutils directory:

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-sbawe
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660 snd_device_gid=29 snd_device_uid=0
options snd-card-sbawe snd_index=0 snd_id=CARD_1 snd_port=0x220 snd_mpu_port=0x300 snd_awe_port=-1 snd_irq=5 snd_dma8=1 snd_dma16=5 snd_mic_agc=0

	Still baffled with the new alsa v0.5.10. Thanks again for any help/suggestions anyone can make.
		--terry

Name:	Terry D. Cudney
Phone:	(905)735-6127
E-mail:	terry at wasagacottage.com
WWW:	www.wasagacottage.com

Q:	How many members of the U.S.S. Enterprise does it take to change a
	light bulb?
A:	Seven.  Scotty has to report to Captain Kirk that the light bulb in
	the Engineering Section is getting dim, at which point Kirk will send
	Bones to pronounce the bulb dead (although he'll immediately claim
	that he's a doctor, not an electrician).  Scotty, after checking
	around, realizes that they have no more new light bulbs, and complains
	that he "canna" see in the dark.  Kirk will make an emergency stop at
	the next uncharted planet, Alpha Regula IV, to procure a light bulb
	from the natives, who, are friendly, but seem to be hiding something.
	Kirk, Spock, Bones, Yeoman Rand and two red shirt security officers
	beam down to the planet, where the two security officers are promply
	killed by the natives, and the rest of the landing party is captured.
	As something begins to develop between the Captain and Yeoman Rand,
	Scotty, back in orbit, is attacked by a Klingon destroyer and must
	warp out of orbit.  Although badly outgunned, he cripples the Klingon
	and races back to the planet in order to rescue Kirk et. al. who have
	just saved the natives' from an awful fate and, as a reward, been
	given all lightbulbs they can carry.  The new bulb is then inserted
	and the Enterprise continues on its five year mission.