End of millennium Sale! speakup-0.10 released

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sun Dec 31 16:42:10 EST 2000

Announcing the first (beta) release, speakup v-0.10

Speakup is a screen review package for the Linux operating system.  It
allows you to hear all output directed to the console and move around
the screen using the typical screen review functions.

This is a beta release which means it is by no means complete but
seems stable and has been well tested.

It is quite usable in it's current incarnation though, with the
blaring lack of cursor output support.  That means in an editor it
doesn't read each line as you move up and down the screen.  It tracks
the cursor so you just need to do a say current line but it doesn't do
it all by itself.  There is more to be said for cursor tracking and
speaking than meets the ear at first glance.

Speakup is a set of kernel patches which means you should have some
experience with kernel compiling.  It currently works on the Linux
kernels 2.2.18 and 2.4.0-test10 and above.  As of this release we are
at kernel level 2.2.18 and 2.4.0-test12.

What's new in v-0.10?  Speakup now has /proc/speakup entries for
controlling synth options such as rate and volume.  Speakup now
supports a number of various synthesizers including the DoubleTalk PC,
the LiteTalk and DoubleTalk LT, the Accent PC and SA, the Artic
Transport, the Speakout, Dectalks external and Express, the Audapter,
the Braille 'N Speak and the Apollo2.  The current version is now
configurable within the make config system which will make
installation much more straight forward.  Another new feature is that
speakup comes with an install script which will apply the patches
automatically and keep backups for upgrading from cvs in the future.

The new features include:

The /proc/speakup configuration system,
The ability to turn keyboard echo on or off,
Experimental cursor tracking announcement,
The ability to turn speakup totally off in individual consoles,
User defined extended character support,
Rudimentary support for other screen review software through the /dev/synth
device.

There is a mailing list for speakup which you are welcome to join if
you are interested in it's on going development.  You can subscribe to
the mailing list by sending a message to speakup-request at braille.uwo.ca with
a line in the body of the message like this:

subscribe

The mailing list is currently a very low traffic forum so you probably
won't be overwhelmed with mail, although that is changing as more and
more blind people discover Linux.  You can also subscribe to the
mailing list by following the links on the web page.

The official speakup distribution point is
ftp://linux-speakup.org/pub/linux/speakup.  The ftp area includes all
of the current speakup files and utilities.  It also includes a
subdirectory containing older versions of speakup.  There is a new
directory tree which contains the base debian installation disks with
speakup already installed, as well as boot images for Redhat and
Slackware.  So if you have any of the supported synths you can down
load the disk images and install your entire system with speech.  The
installation disks currently contain speakup version-0.09 but those
will probably be upgraded soon.

We are in the middle of writing a set of web pages for speakup.  You
can check them out at http://www.linux-speakup.org.  We would like to
hear what you think of them and will gladly consider recommendations
on their improvement.  We have what we consider a way cool logo for
the speakup project as well, it would be nice to hear your opinions on
that also.

Speakup is written by Kirk Reiser and Andy Berdan.  It is covered by
the GPL (GNU General Public License).

So, like I think that's about it.  If you have any questions feel free
to write me at kirk at braille.uwo.ca.  If you have any of the synths now
covered by speakup, we could really use your feedback.  If you are
just dying to get involved in a software project, boy do we have a
bridge to sell you! 'grin'

  Kirk

email: kirk at braille.uwo.ca
phone: (519) 679-6845 (home)