speakup reflector

Gene Collins collins at gene3.ait.iastate.edu
Sun Dec 31 11:53:34 EST 2000

Hello Sam.  To establish a connection on the speakup reflecter, do the
following:

1.  Under the options menu, select the edit phone book entry.  Change
the server so it points to lwl.braille.uwo.ca.

2.  Fill in the rest of the fields as desired, any of them can be left
blank.

3.  click ok.

4.  Under the options menu select work arounds and then select the 8 khz
option and the always assume half duplex option.

5.  Under the options menu, make sure that gsm compression is checked.

6.  Under the file menu, select new, and type in lwl.braille.uwo.ca:4074
and press return.  You should now be connected to the reflecter.

7.  Press the spacebar to toggle between transmit and receive mode.

Try not to transmit when others are talking, as this will make both your
transmission and the transmission of the other person who is talking
unintelligible to everyone else on the reflecter.  Having said this,
accidents will happen.  One of the anoying "features" of Speak Freely for
windows is that when someone sends a chat text message, Speak Freely
pops up a chat dialog which must be exited by pressing return.  If
memory serves, the return key will also toggle between transmit and
receive mode, which can be quit confusing.

You can check your volume and mike levels by connecting to the echo
server at lwl.braille.uwo.ca.   Do not use the 4074 port number for the
echo server.  You can transmit about 10 seconds of audio which will then
be echoed back to you.

If you are using Jaws, see the message Kirk has posted about the JAWS
script for Speak Freely.

Gene Collins