a ton of questions

Matthew Campbell mattcampbell at pobox.com
Sat Dec 30 14:31:25 EST 2000

You can find drivers for some Winmodems at www.linmodems.org.

> In my c++ programming under windows, I've used 'iostream.h' to handle input
> and output streams. However, I've noticed to my surprise that this header
> doesn't exist in the gcc 2.7.2.3 include directory. What do I use instead?

You need to compile C++ programs with g++, not gcc.  Also, you should
install the egcs package and use that.  GCC 2.7.2.3 is old and I can't think
of any reason why you would want to use it.

> I know I'll probably be smerked by some of you for asking this one, but
> where can I download a free DOS emulator for linux?

There's a package called dosemu which is basically a PC emulator capable of
running DOS or some similar operating system.  You can get a free MS-DOS
clone at www.freedos.org.

> I've also heard that it is possible for speakup to speak in lilo at the boot
> prompt. How do I set that up with slackware 7.1?

What kind of synthesizer do you have?  If it's an external synthesizer, to
what serial port is it connected and what is the baud, parity, and number of
data bits?  Speakup itself doesn't support speech at the LILO prompt, but
LILO itself can output its messages to a serial port, so if you have an
external synthesizer you can probably configure LILO to send the output to
the synthesizer.

> Are there any screensavers for linux that would turn off the monitor after a
> certin amount of noneuse both at the login and shell prompts?

If your computer supports Advanced Power Management, then you can
reconfigure the kernel so that it will turn off the screen after a certain
time of inactivity.

> P.S. One more question,: Does speakup speak under x?

No.  There are a few projects underway to provide screen access for the GUI
in Linux, but I haven't seen any usable results yet.

--
Matt Campbell <http://www.pobox.com/~mattcampbell/>  ICQ #:  33005941