a ton of questions

Gregory Nowak romualt at megsinet.net
Sat Dec 30 14:09:10 EST 2000

Hello listers,

Even though I've been following everything on the list, because of school
work I didn't have much time to explore linux beyond reading a couple of
books on it. Now that winter break has been here for a while, I got more
time to actually check out how everything that I've learned about so far
works. As a result, I've come up with a bunch of questions that I hope
somebody would be kind enough to take the time to answer. So, here goes.
Does linux support winmodem technology at all? Somehow I've got the sinking
feeling that the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
In my c++ programming under windows, I've used 'iostream.h' to handle input
and output streams. However, I've noticed to my surprise that this header
doesn't exist in the gcc 2.7.2.3 include directory. What do I use instead?
I know I'll probably be smerked by some of you for asking this one, but
where can I download a free DOS emulator for linux?
I also remember that a while ago some one on the list mentioned that they
have an Abit be6-ii mother board. How do I install support for the 2 hpt366
controlers into my kernel?
I've also heard that it is possible for speakup to speak in lilo at the boot
prompt. How do I set that up with slackware 7.1?
Are there any screensavers for linux that would turn off the monitor after a
certin amount of noneuse both at the login and shell prompts?
That's all that comes to my mind for now. Thanks for any help at all that
any of you would be able to give me.
Greg Nowak
P.S. Happy new year to everyone.

P.S. One more question,: Does speakup speak under x?