Merry Xmas and Happy holidays

Matthew Campbell mattcampbell at pobox.com
Mon Dec 25 16:36:07 EST 2000

OK, I'm not Kirk, but I thought I'd try to answer these questions anyway.

Socrates is an open-source optical character recognition program for
Linux.  Awesome is a project to create an accessible, open-source sound
editing program for Linux.  Kirk is also working on an open-source talking
book player for the DAISY format, which uses MP3 for the audio and also
uses XML for some stuff (Kirk will have to fill us in on the details
there).

Tuxtalk has been available on a CVS server since sometime in June of this
year.  It does work but has a couple of bugs and doesn't sound that great
yet.  It has come a long way, though.

export CVSROOT=":pserver:anonymous at bumpy.braille.uwo.ca:/usr/src/CVS"
cvs login

For the password type:  please

Then to check out Tuxtalk, type:

cvs checkout tuxtalk

You can type "make" in the tuxtalk directory to compile the program, which
is called "say".  The Documents directory contains some documentation and
a text file that illustrates the use of the Tuxtalk commands.  Have fun.

--
Matt Campbell
Web site:  http://www.pobox.com/~mattcampbell/