converting files to text

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Dec 23 14:00:51 EST 2000

Hi, Chuck:

I read M$ Word files by converting them to WAI comformant, w3c html with a
utility called wordview. Once compiled, the command wvHtml [source.file] >
[output.file] would convert the .doc to a .html that you can pull up in
Lynx or the w3 browser. Note the cap H in wvHtml.

Do I remember where to get wordview? No, regretably. Try the rpm
repository, I guess. The url in the man file no longer works.
 On Wed, 20
Dec 2000, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:

> I recently discovered the utility "ps2ascii" which extracts text from
> postscript files and also from pdf files. Now what I wish I could discover
> is a similar utility to deal with MS Word files. I am curious to know what
> some of you "Linux Only" users do when you get files attached as MSWord
> documents?
> Chuck
>

> My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
> 	"It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear."

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

janina at afb.net
(202) 408-8175
http://www.afb.org/gov.html

The invention of the printing press has been named the crowning
achievement of the past millennium. Yet, electronic publishing will soon
eclipse it. Read our White Paper: "Surpassing Gutenberg" available at:

	http://www.afb.org/ebook.html

Are you developing software? Make it accessible to blind computer users.
Read http://www.afb.org/technology/accessapp.html to learn how.