Capturing real audio streams.

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Thu Dec 14 06:27:43 EST 2000

Hi Tommy.

Theoretically there is a program called "vsound" which will do that. I say
theoretically because it may or may not work for you. I had it working
like a charm before upgrading my system a couple of months ago - I was
running a Slackware 4.0 distribution with version 0.4.1 of the alsa
drivers and in that configuration vsound never failed. I upgraded
everything at once here, so I do not know what the culprit is, but now
with a Slackware 7.1 distribution and alsa 0.5.9 (and also 0.5.10) it
works if the file has already been downloaded, but screws up
otherwise. The program's author is Erik Di Castro who tried nearly
everything to duplicate my problem and was unable to. What he did not try
was to install alsa. If you can get it to work it is just what you
want. The latest version has a "-d" switch which lets yhou simultaneously
hear the stream and convert it to .wav format. Wiothout that switch you
get a silent conversion.

Chuck