adventures with 2.2.18 and alsa

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Wed Dec 13 15:47:36 EST 2000

Hi listers -

I got pretty close a couple of times but was not able to drive my sound
card under the 2.2.18 kernel. I followed Jim Dantly's suggestion and
compiled the alsa software okay, specifying only my snd-card-emu10k1, but
ended up with unresolved symbols and no modules loaded. I upgraded the
alsa drivers to 0.5.10 as per Captain Kirk's suggestion and found that
they compiled under 2.2.18 specifying 'all' cards, but that did not solve
the unresolved symbols problem. Next I abandoned alsa and selected the
built-in drivers for emu10k1 and that failed too...

My brain hurts. I am having to choose now between sound and keeping
current, and I choose sound. I have reinstalled 2.2.17 in which the alsa
0.5.10 upgrade works for me, which means - I am dropping to the rear of
the crowd and will let others whack their shins on things.

I sometimes think I am just plain getting too old for this!

Chuck

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
Real Users find the one combination of bizarre input values that shuts
down the system for days.