first attempt failed

Bruce Noblick bnoblick at columbus.rr.com
Tue Dec 12 06:46:40 EST 2000

Sorry, This simple thing has sure caused more than its share of
controversy -- smile.  Here is what I wrote up the other day.
---
I went to www.linux-speakup.org and followed links to the Debian disks and
downloaded everything I could think of that might be useful including the
linux-speakout.bin and and rescue-speakout.bin files.

The following are lists of files and directories as I have set them up
and copied them from linux-speakup.org

I run windows 98 second edition but I have set it up to boot in DOS.  I am
at an MSDOS prompt at the C:\ directory and I am using a program I wrote
myself called FILES.  The N option shows normal files only
and the O option shows directories only.  Commands I enter begin with
greater than symbols only to identify them as entered lines.

You will also see ~1 (tilde 1)in these lists.  This is because my program is
not smart enough to get the windows long file names.  Also please note that
my
careless use of upper and lower case comes from working too long in
DOS -- grin.  The files with the ~1 are the ones for the
speakout synthesizer.

LINUX is a copy of LINUX-~1.BIN
RESCUE.BIN is a copy of RESCUE~1.BIN
I copied them rather than renaming them to preserve the original
download files especially since I had originally planned to download
the ones for the braille 'n speak as well.

The install.bat file runs loadlin.exe and as I understand it, should come up
speaking.  The system hangs and needs to be turned off and back on.  The
machine is a Compaq Presario.  I don't know how to spell Presario -- I hope
that doesn't matter -- grin.  I do not know the exact model number but I
just got it about 8 months ago.  It has a 20 gig hard drive, 128 meg of
memory, and runs at 600 MHZ.

>FILES DEBIAN/N
BASE2_2.TGZ
DRIVERS.TGZ
INSTALL.BAT
LINUX-~1.BIN
LINUX

>FILES DEBIAN/O
DOSUTILS
IMAGES-1.44
DOC

>FILES DEBIAN\DOSUTILS/N
LOADLIN.EXE
RAWRITE2.EXE

>FILES DEBIAN\IMAGES-1.44/N
ROOT.BIN
RESCUE~1.BIN
RESCUE.BIN

>FILES DEBIAN\DOC/N
INSTAL~1.PDF

I hope that something in this helps.  Thanks again for everything.