Installation of Kernal.

Jason Custer jasoncuster at home.com
Mon Dec 11 07:25:59 EST 2000

Hi
Well, there may be an easyer way, but I don't know it so here goes.
Sence you were able to get the speakup disk running, you probibly have dos
or windows with a talking screen reader. In this case, here is what to do.
Note that steps for doing this in redhat only are after this, but if it is
possible to do these steps with speech it will make life easeyer for you.
dos steps.
1. copy the file loadlin.exe from the redhat disk. On my 6.1 disk it is in
/dosutils.
2. copy the file vmlinuz from your speakup boot disk.
3. type loadlin vmlinuz root=/dev/hdxx rw
4. now that you have speech, look at the linux steps below.

linux steps
1. mount your flopy drive. The redhat disks for my 6.1 use vfat when making
the boot disk. So, do mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt
2. cp /mnt/vmlinuz /boot
3. type lilo
4. reboot your now speaking linux.
\

Note that this kernel doesn't support several things such as some fat
systems networking, and several other things. As a result, you will probibly
want to make another kernel.

Good luck!

Hope this helps. If you need more details, let me know.
Jason