versions and essential directories

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Sun Dec 10 12:49:22 EST 2000

Two questions now that I have implemented cvs and the checkout script:

I noticed after upgrading twice with the cvs/checkout method that the
bootup messages still describe speakup as version 1.09 and I wonder if
that is correct. I am getting the newly implemented features but no change
in version numbers.

The second question has to do with the possibility that I might be
carrying some excess baggage around. Is there any reason to retain the
older speakup source directory from which I used to apply speakup
patches? Is it safe to drop it? And along that same line, I have upgraded
my kernel from 2.2.16 to 2.2.17 and so now I have a set of new modules in
/lib/modules/2.2.17 and a set of old ones in /lib/modules/2.2.16 and I am
wondering if it is safe to delete the older directory. I believe the only
modules I am using that were not part of the kernel are the alsa drivers
and I have recompiled and reinstalled them under 2.2.17.

I guess I could zap them and see what happens, right?

Chuck

My web site is http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
I'm sorry, but my kharma just ran over your dogma.