first attempt failed

Bruce Noblick bnoblick at columbus.rr.com
Sat Dec 9 01:25:32 EST 2000

Hello all!

I am a novice at this so I may be asking a question with an obvious answer to those with more experience.  I have attempted to follow the instructions and I have downloaded the files from the speakup website.  Where there was a choice, I selected those for the speak-out synthesizer.  I tried running the install.bat to see if it would work, without a screen reader in the system.  It never talked.  I tried again with a screen reader loaded and got a few messages about loading things and a lot of dots.  That was all.  My guess is that I might have the wrong baud rate or settings.  I am set up for 9600,N,8,1.  The only thing that makes me think there might be something else wrong is that I would have expected garbage to be spoken by the speak-out if I had diagnosed the problem correctly.  Another fact is that the machine locked up.  Did I miss something?

Enjoy!
Bruce