multi-purpose message

Geoff Shang gshang10 at scu.edu.au
Fri Dec 8 05:24:40 EST 2000

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Jason Custer wrote:

> I have a compaq presario 1200. It runs linux fine. There are drivers
> for the modem, and sound. If you want sound drivers though, you will
> have to compile the 2.4 kernel found at ftp.kernel.org as the drivers
> for that sound card are not avalible in previous kernels. If you want a
> link to the modem driver, ask and you shall recieve.

Depending on the chip, there might be ALSA drivers for the sound
hardware.  I'd recommend against 2.4 kernels for anyone who doesn't want to
live on the bleeding edge and knows what they're doing, as it will mean
having to use CVS speakup code with all the trappings that go along with
doing that.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang10 at scu.edu.au>