multi-purpose message

Thomas Ward tward at bright.net
Fri Dec 8 00:47:25 EST 2000

Hello, Bruce. As far as I should know Linux should work fairly well on your Compaq provided you don't have anything like Win modems, or MS Windows only hardware.
In my case I built my computer from the ground up, and personally designed it with Linux in mind. To avoid any Windows only hardware.
Personally, I am using Red hat 6.2, and it works pretty well with speakup.
As for PCMCIA also called PCI they are a type of 32 byt architecture which is now popular on most computers.Most sound cards, modems, vidio cards, network cards have moved from ISA to PCMCIA.