multi-purpose message

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Thu Dec 7 23:49:07 EST 2000

> I have a Compaq presario computer and wonder if I can have a reasonable
> expectation that Linux in any flavor will work on it.

I would expect you can load Linux on it no problem. just be aware that
your modem will probably not work. There are some drivers now available
for WinModems, but....I will not give a diatibe on the evils of these
modems now.

> Finally, what are P. C. M. C. I A. boards?

I forget what exactly the acronym is. But what they are also known as PC
cards. They are about the size of a credit card in size. They can be any
of three thicknesses. The thinest of them are less the 1/4 inch thick.

As for what they are for, this can be most anything. The most common uses
are modems and NICs for laptops. But they can also have memory, hard
drives, scsi adapters, proprietary CDROM or DVD interfaces, etc. PCMCIA
provides a standard so that you can buy expansion from any number of
vendors. It is primarily for laptops, but you can get slots mechanisms for
a desktop as well. Don't buy a laptop without a type 2 slot.

The type designates the thickness of the card. They vary from type 1 to
type 3. A type 2 slot will hold either s ingle type 2 board, or two type 1
boards. (These are most common.) A type 3 slot should be even a little
thicker. This will accomodate a hard drive. I believe it will also hold a
single type 1 card and a type 2 card simultanously but could be
mistaken. Most laptops have a single type 2 slot in them.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net