OT: fetchmail problem

Jacob Schmude jacobs at ncinter.net
Wed Dec 6 18:36:46 EST 2000

HI
     Chuck, this just started to happen. I've never had a problem with
fetchmail before, so I'm thinking maybe it's sendmail doing it, but I'm
not sure why. As you probably know, fetchmail does only part of the
delivery. It delivers it to sendmail, which then gives it to the user. I
know sendmail can send, as I just did it to report my fetchmail trouble
(I.e. I do not use my ISP's smtp server), because sendmail is quicker.

     As far as my plan b goes, here's how you do it:
Go into pine's configuration menu and find the variable for inbox-path.
Set this to:
{mailserver.somewhere.net}INBOX
Note the braces, these are required around the mail server name. INBOX is
also in all caps and there's no space between it and the mailserver, only
a closing brace. Pine will then, when it starts, open the remote inbox and
ask you for you're username and password. After that, you're actually
acting on your remote inbox, mail is not locally downloaded. It's worth
noting that pop3 is NOT supported. Only the IMAP protocol, which is
faster anyway. My guess is that you use pop3 because you use nettamer. I'm
probably
lucky, my ISP happens to allow you to use both.