Number pronounciation with Speakup

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Mon Dec 4 09:37:32 EST 2000

Dan Murphy <mweeby at nycap.rr.com> writes:

> Can anyone tell me if there's a way to have Speakup V0.09 announce numbers
> digitally rather than numerically?  In other words have it say 157000 in
> stead of one hundred  fifty seven thousand?
> I am using a Double-Talk internal synth.

Hi Dan: You can use the loadspk program to change the DoubleTalks
punctuation value.  If you dumpsk >speakup.conf and then edit the
file.  There is a line which says 'punct = 7' by default.  If you want
the synth to say "zero, one two three" change that value to '3', or
punct = 3.  You can then load the file with loadspk.  I will worn you
that changing the punctuation level to some other value than no
punctuation '3, 7, 15', will have dramatic affects on speakup output
so be careful.

good luck
  kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061