Stupid kernel question

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.eu.org
Tue Aug 29 20:09:06 EDT 2000

They probably use cat because you can use that to put the kernel ona file;
a block device etc. Also catting a file >another file preserves the
permitions of the original whereas cp doesn't usually. It also means that
if you cat >another file and the file exists; your umask won't come into play.
Those are my ideas on the issue but nothing wrong with cp.