Upgrading in RedHat and Debian?

Terry D. Cudney tcudney at home.com
Thu Aug 24 03:20:38 EDT 2000

Thanks Geoff,

	This tips the scales... I'm switching to Debian!

	Actually, I've already installed the base 2.2 system on a partition. I used the 'compact' install method as outlined in the installation manual, downloading diskette images of: boot.bin, root.bin and drivers-1.bin, and a base2.2 .tgz file on another partition. I can now boot this base system from the HD. BUT...
	Now I need some help. the installation manuaal says to use 'DSelect', which looks to be a frontend for the 'apt-get' prog that you mentioned below..
The newarest mirror to me is:
	ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/
So, I put these lines into /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian dists potato main
deb ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian dists potato main binary-i386
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists potato main disks-i386 current
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian dists potato main binary-i386

	Still doesn't work. It gives erros when tryig to update the packages list.

Can you tell me the syntax of the /etc/apt/sources.list file? or am I missing something else? Maybe I'd be better to do the whole installation with apt-get? how?
	I have a funcional pppoe link on ADSL through eth0. Have to initialize it manually in another console before running dselect (or apt-get?). No proxy servers involved.

	Will the Debian kernels (v2.1), that are on the speakup ftp site work for installing v2.2? Could I cp one for my LiteTalk into /boot, configure/run lilo and boot up talking from the HD? or just boot from a floppy made for the v2.1 install with speakup on it?

	Any suggestions? Thanks again.

--
		--terry

Name:	Terry D. Cudney
Phone:	(905)735-6127
E-mail:	terry at wasagacottage.com
WWW:	www.wasagacottage.com
Postal:	18 Colbeck Drive, WELLAND, ON L3C 5B5