Slashdot interview re: vorbis

Geoff Shang gshang10 at scu.edu.au
Thu Aug 24 03:56:40 EDT 2000

Hi Brent:

I see that you've already been given the command to write a WAV file from
MPG123.  I might just point out that (A) Not all programs will pipe to
standard output without being asked, and (B) there's vertually no need to
ever pipe to arecord, as you could redirect outjput to a file.  For
example:

mpg123 -s filename.mp3 |arecord -m filename.wav

would have done what you wanted, since the -s tells it to write to standard
output (stdout).  But it's far more efficient to do this:

mpg123 -s filename.mp3 >filename.wav

This uses the shell to redirect standard output to a file.  You could use
2 greaterthans to append rather than to rewrite.  Of course, this is a bad
example since MPG123 will do it itself with -w which I recommend above both
of the above.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang10 at scu.edu.au>