Slashdot interview re: vorbis

Geoff Shang gshang10 at scu.edu.au
Mon Aug 21 19:04:58 EDT 2000

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Brent Harding wrote:

> It won't take output from arecord, arecord records by default in 8 bit
> sampling rate, which lame won't work with.

Oh yeah.  Silly me.  Try:

arecord -m |lame - file.mp3

For 44.1khz 16 bit stereo.  If you want something less, use the s and b
switches and ummm... the other one for specifying channel numbers to get
what you want.  You may also have to use command options in the lame
command to get it working properly, but it's definitely doable.

Oh by the way, apparently there is a vorbis-tools (not necessarily spelled
correctly) debian package available, but I'd guess that it's in unstable.

Geoff.