trouble with upgrading rh 6.1 to rh6.2

William Hubbs kc5eiv at airmail.net
Sun Aug 20 03:42:55 EDT 2000

Hi all!

I am having a problem with the redhat installation/upgrade program.  I have downloaded the iso image for redhat 6.2 for an i386, and copied the files from the image to /home/redhat.

Next, I downloaded the rh 6.2 boot disks from the speakup site and created a boot disk so that I can do an upgrade from the hard disk.

I created the boot disk by issuing the following command.

dd if=dtlkb.bin of=/dev/fd0

I reboot from the floppy I created, and the system starts talking fine, so I know that is not the issue.  After I select the language and keyboard type, the system wants me to select where the installation files are.  I select "hard drive", then tell it where the files are by selecting /dev/hda7 (my /home partition), then I also fill in the "directory holding redhat" field with "/redhat".

The system starts to load the 2nd stage ram disk, then gives the following messages:

error 2 reading header: Success
cpio failed on (null): (internal)
install exited abnormally -- received signal 11

Then all processes are stopped, filesystems are unmounted and I am told to reboot my system.  What is going on?  Can anyone help with this?

Thanks,

William