Booting problems with 0.09b and kernel 2.2.16

Joseph Norton jnorton at nortcom.com
Sat Aug 12 08:01:00 EDT 2000

Hi Kirk and listers:

Well, looks like at least two people with newer serial ports are having
problems booting a speakup-enabled kernel.  Both have their synths on com1
(ttyS0) and I have successfully tried a couple things with one of
them.  We tried booting with the talking lilo prompt (I made a boot disk
specially for that).  The synth talked on the lilo prompt, but, we got as
far as "uncompressing Linux, OK" then everything froze no matter what we
did.  We're wondering if this is something that's happening with newer
hardware.  Steve (one of the people involved) may try this on his 486
later on (since it has older hardware) and see if the same thing happens,
but, it sounds like a problem that's going to rear its ugly head more
often as newer hardware comes on the scene.  Any ideas?

Thanks!