other unix variants and speech, maybe with speakup

Klarich, Terry terry.klarich at wilcom.com
Fri Aug 11 16:35:13 EDT 2000

For my work, I carry arround a laptop which I use to plug into the console
port of my Unix machines.  The laptop acts as a talking terminal.  Even SCO
boxes have an option to use com1 as the console port.

Sun has just released solaris for free.  The source code will also become
available soon.  I am not sure of the details; but, am talking with our Sun
rep.  Maybe a version of speakup  can be done for solaris.  All in all, I
much prefer Linux over solaris though.  On my Ultra 5, Linux runs much
faster than Solaris.  I have never loaded Solaris 86; so, can't comment on
that.

Terry