Slackware not speaking

Joseph Norton jnorton at nortcom.com
Thu Aug 10 23:11:49 EDT 2000

Hi Bruce:

You may have to tell Speakup where your synth is.  If I remember
correctly, you have a DoubleTalk lt.  In case you haven't tried this, boot
the ltlk.dsk image.  at the first prompt (it will say "Boot:" on your
screen and is the first thing you come to when booting), type a command
something like this:

ramdisk speakup_ser=0

if your synth is on com1, or:

ramdisk speakup_ser=1

if your synth is on com2.  I have tested the ltlk.dsk image with my older
DoubleTalk and it seems to work, but, I did have to use this
parameter.  Also, when you go to install lilo, you will need to append the
speakup_ser=x statement to be passed to the kernel on the optional append
line.  You don't need the ramdisk part, just the speakup_ser= part.

Hope this helps.