missing 'special devices'

Jacob Schmude jacobs at ncinter.net
Wed Apr 19 16:47:37 EDT 2000

OK, here's a nice easy way to do it. You see, sbpcd are proprietary
devices and thus you can't link them to devices like hdd, scd0, or
whatever. Slackware's got a nice way to recreate the devices, as root,
do the following:

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV sbpcd

Note that the word "MAKEDEV" is in all caps. If, for some odd reason,
MAKEDEV won't work, the major number is 25, and the minor numbers
increase by one. For example:
/dev/sbpcd: 25/0
/dev/sbpcd0: 25/0 (same device as /dev/sbpcd)
/dev/sbpcd1: 25/1
/dev/sbpcd2: 25/2

You get the idea. Use mknod to create these devices, I think it's
something like this:

mknod /dev/sbpcd b 25 0
mknod /dev/sbpcd0 b 25 0
mknod /dev/sbpcd1 b 25 1

Then, of course, you'll need to change the file permissions to whatever
they were. I don't have one of these devices, but that's the general
usage of mknod. The "b" in the command specifies a block device, and
then the major and minor numbers follow. I had to do this for my ide cd
writer once when I was using debian, it didn't know how to create the
scd devices and my writer needed to emulate scsi. I think MAKEDEV is
standard on all distros, but it seems to change in what it can
do. Redhat's and debian's makedev can't seem to do some of the things
slackware's can do, and the same thing the other way around.