GUIs (was Re: A comment on Slashdot)

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Apr 11 12:16:55 EDT 2000

It would be accurate to say that all information displayed on a computer
monitor is graphical. Obviously, while this is true, it isn't helpful.

The real question is when and how the picsels are rendered. For example:

If text is retrieved from a web page as a file of picsels, we who are
blind are left out. There may as well be no text involved, from our point
of view, because we can't render it it in any way usable by us.

If, rather, the text is transmitted as a series of codes representing the
chars, and then some local agent converts these codes into picsels on the
monitor, we have the opportunity to fork the process and obtain access
through something like braille or synthetic speech.

To put this is in completely no technical terms:

The first instance is a picture of text. You can runa program like
Arkenstone's Open Book to convert it into the second form, and you might
succeed. But it is really a picture and the things you can do with this
kind of text are only the kinds of things you can do with pictures --
crop, rotate, zoom, etc.

The second is a set of codes -- just like the alphabet is a set of codes
irrespective of any particular way of rendering the codes. The kinds of
things one can do with this kind of text are the kinds of things one can
do with codes -- e.g. one can transform them into another set of codes
like braille, one can compare them to a dictionary of words for spell
checking, and one can change the kind of graphical rendering these codes
will get when they're printed on paper or on screen.

With this in mind, I want to share my view on the graphical user
interface. To my mind, the gui is neither bad nor good. Nor is it
intrinsically inaccessible. It's just another way of rendering an
interface. To my mind, the more rigorous and compartmentalized the
rendering, the more accessible a gui can be. If those aspects of the user
interaction which are inherently text in the coded sense are accessible at
that level, the gui should be very accessible. If those levels are
unavailable because they're proprietary--or because they're not regorously
adhered to, the interface becomes less accessible.

In other words, Microsoft Windows isn't intrinsically inaccessible. It's
just that Microsoft hasn't shouldered much of the responsibility for
providing the modesl and data sc reen reader developers need to build
access. Rather, the screen reader developers have had to do this
themselves. And, when they've put that amount of effort into the job,
they, in turn, have been highly proprietary about their solutions. Then, a
new generation of Windows is released that follows different rules at
important points, and the process begins again.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Information Systems Research & Development
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

janina at afb.net