Newbie

Dave Talmage TALMAGE at SOMTEL.COM
Tue Apr 4 08:55:34 EDT 2000

Hi Deena,

I hope you have either a CDR or CDRW burner, because you will need it to
write that ISO9660 image to a CD-ROM.
I'll assume that you have either one or the other, so what you are getting
with that file is Red Hat's main installation disk.  Some mirror sites also
have an ISO of the Docs disk and another of source.  I downloaded and
burned the docs disk and it really wasn't worth the effort.  If it isn't in
the doc directory on the main installation disk and you need something it
is quicker just to jump on the Internet and get rather than download the
docs disk which has a lot of graphic files, etc.  The same goes for the
source disk, since you will probably only be interested in the kernel
source for the near future.

Regarding the installation, after you create the CD you should take a look
at the readme file in the CD's root dir as well as the release notes.
You will also have a doc directory with a sub dir of ref-guide where you
will find index.htm.  You should load this and go down to the tab and read
the portion on text installs at a minimum.  The /doc/install-guide is for
the graphical install and you'll probably find the text install more
accommodating.
The CD you will create is a bootible CD if your system supports this.  If
not you will need to create a boot floppy.  To do this you will find the
rawrite utility in the /dosUtils subdir and 3 different boot .img files in
the images subdir.  These are described in the docs and I believe in the
readme file, but the one you will probably be interested in is the boot.img
file.
I'll leave off here so you can catch up to this point.
Dave